Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blog Assignment 5

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
By: Scott McLeod

I really enjoyed reading this blog post. Scott McLeod makes a very good point. I completely agree with what he had to say. Parents need to realize that technology and the internet can help their children learn. They need to realize that yes, there are bad things out there, but with proper instruction and teaching their children can learn what to stay away from.
Dr. McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. He recognized as one of the nation's leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. Dr. McLeod has been awarded with many honors such as Leader in Learning by the cable industry, an Emerging Leader by Phi Delta Kappa International, one of the National School Board Association’s 20 To Watch, and many more.

Internet Safety



The iSchool Initiative
Zeitgeist Young Mind's Entry
By: Travis Allen

Travis Allen's the iSchool is a very neat idea. I'm not sure if I completely agree with the idea but, I do think it is a good one. I think that there should still be books, paper, and pencils in school. Part of leaning is taking notes and reading books. Yes, you can read books and take notes with the iSchool but, staring at a small iTouch or iPad all day can not be that good for your eyes, it certainly bothers mine. I personally think that actually writing notes down on paper is beneficial to me because it helps me remember them if I write them.
One thing I really liked about the iSchool was that you can store everything on one device. No backpack filled with heavy books and binders, no lockers, and no planners. The more I think about the iSchool the more I think that it is a good idea. I am still torn though because I feel that the traditional methods of teaching should still be used. With the iSchool there are many benefits such as low cost and the saving of paper but, I do not think that the iSchool is the solution to the education system's problems.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

After watching this video, the first thing that came to my mind was WOW! This is an amazing use of technology and the internet. For someone to be able to use technology and the internet in this way is just awesome. In a way this brings each of the 185 people together. Even though they are not in the same place, they are all participating in this epic movie that tons of people will view. This video just goes to show that with technology and the internet, just about anything is possible.

Teaching in the 21st Century
By: Kevin Roberts

Kevin Roberts thinks that to teach in the 21st century means that, books, paper, and pencil should be replaced by laptops, iPads, and e-books. He also thinks that Students should learn skills, not just information such as history and science. He suggests that students be taught how to do things and what to do in certain situations. I am not so sure that I completely agree with him. I think that students should still have to write down notes and read actual text books. I think that students should also be taught all of the main subjects. I believe that everyone should have a good well rounded knowledge of history, science, and other subjects. If Kevin Roberts is correct, it will effect teachers in many ways. Teachers will be using podcasts, computers, iPads and other technological devices to teach. Books, paper, and pencil will not be used anymore.
I think that technology is great and I think that it can be very helpful. However, I do not think that it should take over education. As long as it is used the right way, it can certainly be beneficial to students and teachers.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    I like your picture of Garfield, he is so cute. My reaction was the same as yours for the virtual Choir. I was so amazed how each one of them came together over the internet to create something so amazing. I didn't realize this could be done. It was an eye opener to me though about all the wonderful things that are possible with the advancement of technology. Your blog looks great! Keep up the good work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    I am glad you picked up on the satire of Scott McLeod's blog post! Back when I was a student in EDM 310 and was doing this assignment, Scott McLeod's blog post and Travis Allen's iSchool Initiative concerned me with their ideas of no more pencil and paper writing too! You are right in saying technology is not bad, but that it also has to be used in the right way.

    Good job on the pictures and links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. McLeod. As Elizabeth said you understood the point Dr. McLeod was making. Many of your classmates missed the sarcasm and interpreted his post literally. Some many did that that Dr. McLeod Tweeted me asking why so many students were missing what he had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth,
    Thank you so much! Your comments are very encouraging to me!

    Dr. Strange,
    I am glad I understood what he had to say. He makes a very good point.

    ReplyDelete